It’s hard to believe that another year is coming to an end. The Summit County Farm Bureau’s work year begins on October 1st and ends on September 30th. That means, it’s that time of the year for the Board of Trustees to develop a plan of work for the 2017 – 2018 year. However, before we can move forward, we need to look back at our projects and activities, evaluate them, and look for new opportunities to continue to serve our members.
Please join us as we look over some of the 2016 – 2017 highlights . . .
Sponsored Family and Community Events
- SCFB sponsored the 9th annual Farmers’ Share Breakfast in March.
- Members and their families enjoyed food, fun, and fellowship at Family Fun Night in Sportsman’s Park.
- SCFB held a Legislative Breakfast for members and public officials.
- SCFB co-sponsored the annual BWC Safety Meeting.
- SCFB supported the Ohio Farm Bureau Foundation auction.
- SCFB will be hosting the annual meeting on September 28th at the Mustard Seed Market & Café in Montrose.
Developed Educational Opportunities
- The American Farm Bureau games kiosk was enjoyed by visitors at the Mogadore Branch Library, the Tallmadge Branch Library, the SCFB Antique Museum during the fair and Nick-a-Jack Farms.
- SCFB financially supported the Ag Mobile’s visits to county schools.
- SCFB sponsored educational seminars:
- Food Safety Modernization Act Workshop
- All About 4-H
- Heirlooms & Herbs
- Healthy Soil Workshops.
- SCFB awarded 4 “new” renewable/four year scholarships.
- SCFB sponsored Summit’s Plow to Chow to raise awareness of agriculture and the origins of food.
- SCFB hosted 60 third grade students at Luther Farm in Richfield for Summit’s Ag Day on the Farm.
- The museum videotaping vignettes were enjoyed by visitors during the Summit County Fair, as well as the video, “Reflections of a Farmer”.
- Organizational announcements and agricultural information were regularly posted on the SCFB website and SCFB Facebook page.
- Volunteers encouraged visitors to play the “grain game” at the SCFB booth during the Akron Home & Garden Show, as well as at the SCFB Farmers’ Share Breakfast.
- SCFB sponsored the visit of Portage County Farm Bureau’s “milking cow” to the fairgrounds during the Summit County Ag Society’s Preschool Agriculture Days.
Initiated Internal Improvements
- The updated Business Member Directory was mailed out to all members and added to the SCFB website.
- Members received two (2) paper newsletters, winter and summer, stuffed full of the organization’s activities and information.
- SCFB ran a membership campaign; hosting a membership kickoff dinner, a number of membership check-ins, and a four county (Columbiana, Portage, Stark, Summit) membership recognition dinner.
- The board initiated the annual financial audit by an independent CPA for the SCFB, as well as the Ag Mobile.
Gave Back to Our Local Community
- Monetary donations were made to: Haven of Rest, Akron-Canton Regional Food Bank, the Ronald McDonald House of Akron, and the Salvation Army.
- SCFB sponsored an ad in the 4-H Equine Program.
- SCFB purchased a hog from the 4-H Livestock Auction and donated the meat to the Haven of Rest.
- Summit’s Plow to Chow raised and donated $5,000.00 to the Ronald McDonald House of Akron, bringing our four (4) year total to $20,600.00.
Served as Advocates for Our Members
- SCFB President, Public Policy Action Team Leader, and Young Farmer went to Columbus for Ag Day at the Capital.
- The SCFB Public Policy committee collected and reviewed policy suggestions from the SCFB members.
- SCFB President and delegates attended the Ohio Farm Bureau Annual Meeting.
- SCFB President went to Washington D.C. to meet with local representatives.
- SCFB President went to Phoenix, Arizona for the American Farm Bureau Annual Meeting.
Supported the Summit County Fair and the SCFB Antique Museum
- SCFB contributed to the purchase of the Summit County Fair program/map and assisted in the Ag-venture game during the fair.
- SCFB funded a professional cleaning of the museum and contents before the fair.
- SCFB supported the 4-H livestock program with the purchase of a hog and donated the meat to the Haven of Rest.
- SCFB served a pancake breakfast to all the 4-H participants and their families on Farm Bureau Day at the Summit County Fair.
- SCFB members volunteered to supervise the museum during the Summit County Fair.
- SCFB co-sponsored the “teddy bear” collection during the Summit County Fair, for donation to Akron Children’s Hospital.
Wow! Now, what would you like to see included on the agenda for 2017 – 2018???